In a strong partnership with clients and teammates, I seek to create useful, high-quality websites that communicate effectively and are pleasant to use. Websites that spread ideas, knowledge and opinions. Websites that come to life through their users and inspire them to shape the web.
I support user-centered design, web standards and open data. I advocate for a sharing culture among clients, users, developers and experts from different fields. Every day I learn something new and share my knowledge – in discussions, articles and talks. I experiment with new concepts and technologies to write and speak about them. I create technical tutorials, documentations and references.
I spread the idea of the web as diverse and vibrant medium with universal access. In my professional work I participate in the international web community, for example by contributing to open-source software.
- Active on the internet as molily
- Web development since 1999
- Published numerous technical articles since 2001
- Studied German literature, linguistics and philosophy at the Ruhr University Bochum, 2003—2009
- Developer at SELFHTML, a non-profit organization for teaching web publishing, 2003—2009
- Editor of the German SELFHTML documentation on web technologies, 2005—2009
- Co-author of several SELFHTML articles and the SELFHTML blog, 2005—2008
- Co-author of the HTML Handbook based on SELFHTML 8.1, 2005
- Contributor to the Webkrauts, a German web developer group “for quality on the web”, since 2005
- Employed at 9elements, a design and software development agency in Bochum, Germany, since 2007
- Author of the online book Testing Angular – A Guide to Robust Angular Applications, 2021
Software development skills
- I design the front-end architecture of large-scale dynamic websites. I optimize the front-end performance for fast-loading sites.
- I master complex CSS layout and know well-established CSS frameworks. I use preprocessors like Sass to implement responsive design across browsers.
- I develop websites conforming to recent web standards as well as to the design principles of the web, like universal access.
- I have years of experience in web usability and successful web communication. I have a sense for visual design and typography.
- I develop server-side web applications in Ruby on Rails.
- I have advanced skills in web server administration: Linux, Apache, nginx, Phusion Passenger, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- I am fond of version control systems like Git.
- I write technical documentation and comprehensive articles on web technologies. I give technical support in web authoring forums.
- I have a deep understanding of ECMAScript as well as browser APIs like the DOM. I deploy the latest ECMAScript features of in a backwards-compatible way.