In a strong partnership with clients and teammates, I seek to create useful, high-quality web sites that communicate effectively and are fun to use. Web sites that spread ideas, knowledge and opinions. Web sites that come to life through their users and inspire them to shape the web.
I support user-centric design, web standards and open data. I advocate for a sharing culture among clients, users, developers and experts from different fields. Every day I learn something new and share my knowledge – in discussions, articles and on conferences. I experiment with new concepts and innovative technologies to write and speak about them. I create technical documentations and references.
I aim to develop best practices and to spread the idea of the web as a diverse and vibrant medium. In my professional work I participate in the international web community, for example by contributing to open-source software.
- Known on the internet as molily
- Web development since 1999
- Published numerous technical articles since 2001
- Studied German literature, linguistics and philosophy at the Ruhr university Bochum, 2003—2009
- Developer at SELFHTML, a non-profit organization, 2003—2009
- Editor for the German SELFHTML documentation on web technologies, 2005—2009
- Co-author of several SELFHTML articles and the SELFHTML blog, 2005—2008
- Co-author of the “HTML Handbook” based on SELFHTML 8.1, 2005
- Contributor to the Webkrauts – For quality on the web, since 2005
- Employed at 9elements, web design and software development, since 2007
Software development skills
- I design the front-end architecture of large-scale dynamic web sites. I optimize the front-end performance for fast-loading sites.
- I master complex CSS layout and know well-established CSS frameworks. I use preprocessors like Sass to implement cross-browser responsive design.
- I develop web sites conforming to recent web standards and design principles of the web, like universal access. I am familiar with the HTML5 and CSS specifications.
- I have years of experience about web usability and successful web communication. I have a sense for visual design and typography.
- I develop server-side web applications in Ruby on Rails.
- I have advanced skills in web server administration: Linux, Apache, nginx, Phusion Passenger, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- I am fond of version control systems like Git, Mercurial and Subversion.
- I write technical documentation and comprehensible articles on web technologies. I give technical support in web authoring forums.
- I have a deep understanding of ECMAScript as well as central browser APIs like the DOM. I deploy the latest ECMAScript features of in a backwards-compatible way.